Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dec. 11

Morning Meeting-We sang our Reindeer songs. We did Surprise Suitcase and Letter Bucket.
Specials-We had Phy. Ed. and library. We played hockey in Phy. Ed. today.
Read Aloud-We read "The Three Bears Christmas". It was about Santa visiting the threes bears' cottage in the woods. He ate their gingerbread men (Baby Bear's all gone), he sat in their chairs, he messed up their beds and then he left them presents.
Shared Reading-We read "Hickory Dickory Dock". We also did a movement activity with it. We found the rhyming words. We played the clap, clap, pat game with some of the words in the rhyme. (ex mouse clap "m" clap "ouse" pat "mouse"). This helps the students hear different parts of the word. This skill will help them learn to sound out words by sounding out different parts of the word.
Reading Activity-We finished our stations we started yesterday. We wrote Aa's, found Aa's in the room, independent reading, and shared reading.
Rest Time-We started our new chapter book "The Magic School Bus Dinosaur Dectivtives".
Math-We read a wordless counting book with the numbers 1-12. We did actions for each of the numbers 1-12. We started making a counting book. We did pages 1-4.
Listening Check-We have had a hard time with listening skills lately. This afternoon, I used a checklist to monitor our listening skills. After each direction I gave, I marked down if the student did the direction right away without reminders. I told them I was watching for good listeners. I gave very specific one or two step directions. I was very specific about expectations. After math, I told the kids about my checklist. Then, as a surprise, the students who used good listening skills for all of my directions got to go over to Mrs. Jurek's room for a special playtime. The other students stayed with me and we did a listening activity to practice our listening skills. We also talked about the importance of good listening in school. Some of the kids who did not get to go to Mrs. Jurek's class were sad. I do not want my students to be sad, but I do want them to realize that in order to learn and have fun in kindergarten, you need to listen and follow directions.

No comments: