Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sept. 24

**Picture Day Tomorrow***Please send in picture money.
Morning Meeting-We did the Bubble Gum song we learned with Sarah yesterday. We also did Icky Sticky Bubble Gum.
Specials-We had Phy. Ed. today. Each of the kids brought home a note from phy. Ed. class. Mrs. Lingo watched them do a few activities and assessed them on these skills.
Read Aloud-Mice Squeak, We Speak and If Your Happy and You Know It
Reading Activities-I introduced the letters Oo and Pp. After reading our stories, we looked at the pictures again and decided which animals were bigger than us and which animals were smaller than us. Then we brainstormed a list on animals that were bigger and list of animals that were smaller. We then drew a picture of an animal bigger than us, we drew a picture of ourselves and we drew a picture of something smaller than us. Ask your child about their bigger, smaller picture.
Writer's Workshop-In our mini-lesson, we talked about drawing and writing words that are hard for us. I was writing my story and thinking out loud. I said that a tractor is too hard to draw so I am not going to write my story now, I am going to write about something I know I can draw. We decided that wasn't a good idea. I should just try my best and see what happens. I also encouraged that with writing words. Even if it is hard, try your best and listen for th sounds. We shared one story at the end .
Rest Time-We listened to the Alphabet Rescue
Math-Calendar and calendar book. We also did a number scavenger hunt. I gave them a number board. They had to walk around with a partner and count different things around the room. If they counted 8 posters, then they crossed off the 8. The kids loved this activity. I told them that I would make copies of the number board so the students could take them home to do a number scavenger hunt at home.
Science-Our topic today was "We are alike/we are different". We read the book "We are Alike/We Are Different. It was written and illustrated by kindergarteners. Then we talked about being alike and different. I said we are all alike because we like to play on the playground, but we are all different because we like to do different things on the playground. We made a graph of favorite playground activities. The tunnel was the winner with the slide and monkey bars coming in a close second.

No comments: